I created a Maven (maven-archetype-webapp) application and applied mvn eclipse:eclipse on it to make it compatible with Eclipse. When I ran the project I hit this exception:
This was strange because I had mentioned jstl-1.2 in my pom.xml. A quick search on Google returned a lot of answers to this problem, but none of them worked for me. Then I found the root cause of the problem myself and eventually fixed it.
A look into Web Deployment Assembly of my project revealed that Maven dependencies weren’t being added into my project’s classpath. To view Web Deployment Assembly of a project:
- Right-click project name from Project Explorer on left hand side and click Properties.
- Click Deployment Assembly from left hand side.
Here’s how my Deployment Assembly looked like:
For some reason it was only including a subset of dependencies that I defined in pom.xml and that subset didn’t include the jstl-1.2.jar.
I added a new directive Maven Dependencies to the list and provided /WEB-INF/lib as it’s Deploy Path. To add Maven Dependencies directive:
- In Web Deployment Assembly panel, click Add.
- Select Java Build Path Entries and click Next.
- Select Maven Dependencies and click Finish.
- In Web Deployment Assembly panel, click Apply and then Ok.
This solved the problem for me. And of course I removed the jars which were being explicitly specified in the Deployment Assembly since they became redundant. My Web Deployment Assembly looked like this at the end: